Deep Dark by Laura Griffin – Review, Guest Post & Giveaway
by Laura Griffin
Release Date: May 24, 2016
Genre: mystery, suspense
The moment detective Reed Novak steps onto the crime scene, he knows the case is going to rock his world. A beautiful young woman murdered at home. No sign of forced entry. No motive. She’s obviously not the killer’s first victim, and Reed’s instincts tell him she won’t be his last. Reed’s first clue comes via a mysterious text that links to a dating profile, but even more intriguing than the clue is the person who sent it.
As a white-hat hacker in the Delphi Center’s cyber investigation unit, Laney Knox sneaks into some of the deepest, darkest corners of the Internet looking for predators. Laney would prefer to stay away from Austin PD’s most recent murder case, but she can’t ignore the chilling similarities between that crime and her own brutal attack years ago. Laney offers to help the sexy lead detective, but he wants more from her than just a promising tip—Reed wants her trust. Laney resists, but as their relationship deepens she’s tempted to reveal the closely guarded secrets that could make her a key witness…or the killer’s next victim.
Deep Dark by Laura Griffin is the 10th book in her wonderful Tracers series. This is a series that though they do have recurring characters that are part of the Tracers team, it does read very well as a standalone. The Delphi Center, which is private, specializes in elite experts in all aspects of foresenics, which help the police or FBI to solve difficult crimes, such as serial killers. Deep Dark revolves around Laney Knox, a member of the Delphi Center’s cyber investigative unit and detective Reed Novak.
The story starts three years earlier, when Laney wakes up in the middle of the night hearing a possible burglar. Someone with a ski mask jumps her, but Laney is able to escape from being raped or killed. Jump to the present, where Laney now works for the Delphi Center as a computer expert who is able to hack into any system to help find clues. When a young woman is brutally murdered, Laney finds herself unable to not get involved. She tries to help finding some clues for the police to use, and meets the lead detective, Reed. Even though he isn’t too keen on her becoming involved in his case, he learns quickly that she is very good at what she does. Reed also finds himself becoming attracted to her, but shies away, since he is 39 to her 24. Reed also senses that Laney is hiding something, as she seems to be taking this case personally.
With help from Laney, and some other members of Delphi, Reed begins to suspect there is a serial murderer on the loose. Clues from other murders of young women from recent and years past start showing up. Together, Reed and Laney will work to try and find the culprit, but are stymied at every turn, even when they get close, they are too late. In time, Reed who has become involved with Laney, despite his better judgment, finds out the truth of what happened to Laney years before and why she stubbornly insists to help. The clues of the murderer have so many similarities to her attacker. The romance between Laney and Reed was really nice, as I loved them together. Griffin does a wonderful job of giving us a very nice romance, but not letting it overtake the story.
What follows is a very exciting tense emotional story, where finding one victim leads to the discovery of more of the same over the last few years. Reed will push to find the killer before another murder takes place, but it will be Laney who will find the clues. Laney will find herself in danger, forcing Reed to race to save her. Griffin had us holding our breaths throughout the story, and managed to keep us in the dark as to who the killer was; there was a surprising twist I did not see. As always, I love the main characters of each story, and Deep Dark was no different. Besides Reed, Laney, the Delphi members we have met previously, I enjoyed Jay, Veronica and Jordan. Laura Griffin has once again given us another thriller, which is so well written with allowing us to see what goes on behind the scenes to find a murderer. If you enjoy suspense, mystery, fast paced, forensics, great romance and bad villains to catch, then the Tracers series is a must.
Reviewed by Barb
Copy provided by Publisher
Summer Bucket List by Laura Griffin
Summer will fly by if you don’t get out there and seize the moment! Check out these 11 ideas to add to your summer bucket list:
- Get new flip-flops. A little gift for your feet will put you in the summer spirit.
- Take a road trip. This is one of those things people always talk about, but never do. This summer just pick a destination and hop in the car! If you’re short on time, go for the day and discover a new lunch place along the way.
- Visit a national park. Some of the most beautiful spots in the world are within America’s 59 national parks. To find one in your area visit https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm
- Go skinny dipping. Not necessarily in the national park…
- Make s’mores. Marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate. It’s that simple! If you don’t have a campfire site handy, the grille works, too.
- Plan a girls’ (or guys’) night out. Round up your friends and try a new place together, such as a beer garden or a café with a patio.
- Taka a yoga class. Especially if you think you don’t have time. Your mind and body will thank you.
- Catch an action flick. This summer’s list includes X-Men Apocalypse, The Legend of Tarzan, Ghostbusters and (my personal favorite) Jason Bourne.
- Try star gazing. It’s free! Sites such as stardate.org can help you find a good time. This summer’s Perseid Meteor Shower will peak around August 11.
- Go on a picnic.
- Read a romance novel. Trust me on this one. You’ll be glad you did!
Laura’s publisher is offering a paper copy of DEEP DARK to ONE (1) lucky commenter at The Reading Cafe
1. If you have not previously registered at The Reading Cafe, please register by using the log-in at the top of the page (side bar) or by using one of the social log-ins.
NOTE: if you are having difficulty commenting after logging in, please refresh the page at the top of your computer. This should alleviate the difficulty.
2. If you are using a social log-in, please post your email address with your comment.
3. Please LIKE us on FACEBOOK and click GET NOTIFICATIONS
4. Please FOLLOW us on Twitter for an additional entry.
5. Please FOLLOW us on GOODREADS for an additional entry.
6. Follow LAURA GRIFFIN on Facebook.
7. Giveaway is open to USA only
8. Giveaway runs from May 24 – 28, 2016