Leah Rae Miller – The Summer I Became a Nerd Guest Post
6 Nerdy Things To Do This Summer
1. Reread your favorite book series – Be it Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or Goosebumps, put some time aside to delve back into the fictional worlds you love and remember why you loved them so much in the first place.
2. Make a costume – Do you have a favorite superhero/heroine you wish you could be? Put some time and effort into creating the best costume you can. Then post the pictures so we can all marvel at your awesomeness. P.S. This will also mean you’ll have the best Halloween costume!
3. Watch a new genre of film – Are there some cult classics you’ve never seen like The Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Evil Dead movies? Maybe you’re interested in foreign films but don’t know where to start? I highly recommend a French film called Amelie which is a sweet, magical romance, or Night Watch and its sequel Day Watch, two Russian films that are intense paranormal thrillers. How about some Japanese animation? Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke are all amazing movies!
4. Have game nights – Invite friends over for a rousing game of Monopoly! Or try something new. Check out Wil Wheaton’s Table Top Youtube series on GeekandSundry (http://www.youtube.com/user/geekandsundry) for lots of games you’ve never heard of!
5. Start a blog/vlog – Maybe you want it to be about something specific or maybe you just want a place to ramble. Either way, a blog or vlog is a great way to meet new people with similar interests. Plus, it’s free!
6. Learn something new – Need a creative outlet? Learn to crochet, knit, sew, draw, make origami, or whittle. Buy a book on the basics of a new language. Write some short stories, poetry, or a whole novel. You know all those things you wish you could do? Well, you’ll never be able to do them unless you learn!
Mother, wife, and YA author living on a windy hill in Natchitoches, Louisiana. Leah Rae Miller loves fuzzy socks, comic books, cherry coke, and brand new office supplies. THE SUMMER I BECAME A NERD releases May 7, 2013 from Entangled Teen. Stay cool!
Author Website: http://www.leahraemiller.com/
The Summer I Became a Nerd
By Leah Rae Miller
Entangled Publishing – May 7, 2013
On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl’s body isn’t just unknown, it’s anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.
Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.
Title: The Summer I Became a Nerd
Author: Leah Rae Miller
Genre: Contemporary YA
Length: 352 pages
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Imprint: Entangled Teen